Visiting the wine country (any wine country!) is one of my favorite things to do. The experience varies drastically depending on the time of year you are traveling. I have been at the height of the season (called The Crush) in September and October, and in January/February once things have calmed down and the vines are resting. I have also been in the spring and summer, when things are starting to pick up again.
When trying to determine the wineries you want to visit, you need to consider the following:
1. Do you like a crowd, or a more intimate setting?
2. Which varietals do you like? (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, etc.)
3. Do you want to just taste, or do you want to taste and learn about the wines?
4. What part of the valley will you be visiting?
5. Do you want a tour, or a private tasting?
6. How many wineries do you want to visit in one day?
7. Most importantly - do you have a designated driver?
Your Travel Mom can plan and book wine tours for individuals and for groups.